Visit Taylor's profile on Pinterest.
As everyone is starting to head back to school, it seems like there is only one thing on everyone’s minds: textbooks. To be completely honest, I hated text books. When ever professors assigned readings, I would usually only skim through them or not read them at all. Traditional textbooks are too heavy to bring to school and they’re extremely boring. Plus, I hated never knowing what the most important information was. What should I focus on and what should I skim?
However, Mc-Graw Hill Education recently changed my whole outlook on textbooks with their new launch, the Smartbook! This Smartbook is an electronic textbook that organizes and helps you through the readings to ensure that you read and catch the most important parts. McGraw-Hill Education’s Smartbook is the first and only adaptive reading and learning experience designed to change how students read and learn. I recently got to try out one of the Smartbooks and I picked out the Organic Chemistry textbook. Although I absolutely love Organic Chem, I often find the textbooks extremely frustrating to read. I am very pleased to say that was the case with these Smartbooks! The Smartbook highlighted all the most important topics, walked me through the readings and then tested my knowledge. Smartbook continuously adapts to a student’s study experience by highlight content based on what a student knows and doesn’t know. I felt confident that I was truly learning the material. Not only is the Smartbook less frustrating to read, studies have also proven that Smartbook improves student performance by at least one letter grade!
But wait there’s more! Throughout the Read It Forward program, for every SmartBook purchased by October 31, 2013, McGraw-Hill Education will donate a textbook to children in need around the world. You have the power to help educated other children! With your help this fall, SmartBook will have an even greater impact on student education than ever before.
And because I know all of you are broke college students like me, McGraw-Hill is offering 15% off with the promo code FORWARD14 through October 31.
So go get your handy textbook to help yourself and a student in need.
McGraw-Hill Read It Forward: MHEreaditforward.com
ftc disclaimer: This post was sponsored byMcGraw-Hill Education but all opinions are my own.No comments
It seems like just yesterday I was about to start my first year of university. I was beyond scared. I had absolutely no idea what to expect. It is such a big transition from high school to university and everything might change in your life so here are a few things I wish I knew before starting that scary new chapter in my life. Now that I have survived university for an entire year, I’m basically an expert on the whole uni experience, right? Wrong. But these things are still very valid.
- Breakdowns happen- During my second week of freshman year, I had the worst breakdown at 3am. I had a lab the next morning at 8am and I was trying to finish the prelab assignment. I literally lost my mind. Here I was, sobbing and planning to withdraw from university. I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it past that moment. But I did. Breakdowns are a part of life. There are going to be times in your life when you feel like everything is falling apart. But, take a deep breath and move past it. You’ll be fine.
- You need sleep- Don’t pull all-nighters. If you manage your time well and effectively, there isn’t a need to miss out on sleep. Sure, you might have to stay up till 4am finishing an assignment but always make sure you get some sleep before the morning or else you can basically count the next day as wasted. You need that sleep to function.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to people- You are entering university where there are 30,000 new faces you have never seen before. Take advantage of this and make some new friends. Trust me, they all want to do the same and seeing familiar faces in your classes makes life a thousand times easier.
- Everyone doesn’t know what they’re doing- As much as I like my pity parties, I have to realize that I’m not alone when I realize I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. Everyone is in the same boat. We are all going through this four year journey of discovering what interests us and what we want to pursue. Very few people know exactly what they want to do as soon as they first step onto campus.
- Some friends aren’t meant to be- I hate to lose a friend. I’m the type of person who needs a million friends around me at all times to be happy. But sometimes, those friends don’t have your best interest at heart and you need to be able to recognize that and let them go. It’s not worth it when they’re causing you more suffering than happiness.
- Don’t listen to people telling you how to live your life- So many people tried to tell me what faculty I should go into or what classes I should take. They thought they knew my future better than me and I started to believe that too. Listen to their advice but don’t necessarily follow it. They don’t know you any more than you do.
- Sometimes, you need to be independent- As I’ve said before, I need people around me at all times. I am a people person. But in university, you sometimes need to be alone. One of my biggest things that I learnt in my first year was exploring the university by myself and finding places to study where there wasn’t a single person to interact with. I could then focus on myself and exactly what I need to do.
- Take advantage of the resources- There are so many things at university that are going to help you and make your university experience a lot easier. Go talk to staff, counselors, student peers, etc. They are all there to assist you and make this transition go a whole lot smoother.
- Don’t be afraid of failing- You’re going to fail at some point. Maybe you will fail a test, maybe you will fail a class, maybe you will forget to hand in an assignment. As much as it sucks, it’s going to happen sometime in these four years (If it doesn’t, congrats!). It’s not the end of the world and you will still survive, I promise.
- Have fun- University is supposed to be one of the best (and worst) times of your life so take advantage of it! These are the last few years before you actually enter adulthood. University holds so many fun and exciting opportunities. So, go to parties, hang out with friends, join clubs, have the time of your life!
For more tips and tricks, check out my University Advice post!
What do you wish you told your freshman self?No comments
This summer, I’ve been shying away from color. But sometimes, I just want to go back to my roots and step out in an outfit that is reminiscent of a rainbow. Because who doesn’t want to be a rainbow?
This dress is from a cute boutique called the Happy Wardrobe and it is a summer staple. It is such a light material so it’s absolutely perfect for the hottest of summer days. It has cute three quarter length sleeves with a accompanying navy belt. I love the coral color and print of this dress. Coral is the mandatory summer color.
For jewelry, I went along with the colorful theme. The cuff is also from The Happy Wardrobe. It goes great with the dress with the blue underlay and the gold metal. My necklace from the Hawthorne Collection also compliments the colors in the dress perfectly. As for shoes and purse, I think these two are pretty self-explanatory. I feel like I have been wearing this combination every single day this summer. But don’t change something that isn’t broken right? I think that rule applies to fashion.
*ftc disclaimer: I was sent these products for free but all opinions are my own.No comments
- Black Distressed Jeans (buy here)- Black jeans are such a staple that everyone needs so the question is why don’t I have the perfect pair yet? I really want a pair with rips on the knees. So grunge.
- Checkered Chiffon Blouse (buy here)- Checkered silk shirts are the fancy version of plaid shirts so I need one. Plaid all day, everyday.
- Striped T Shirt Dress (buy here)- I think a striped t shirt dress would be perfect to pair with my leather vest and some sneakers. Comfy and chill.
- Black Simple Sandals (buy here)- I think I’ve been searching for the perfect black sandals all summer and yet, I still haven’t found the perfect ones. Summer’s almost over, time is running out.
- Chasing the Sun- Hilary Duff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6MjDFD1Kw
- Something More- Adelitas Way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f926saj7Bvg
- Scarecrow- Alex & Sierra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8R8oATk7NU
- Linger- The Cranberries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Kspj3OO0s
- All About You- Hilary Duff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y64RiH0gnlI
- I Just Wanna Run- The Downtown Fiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWnfx8uRPw
- I Wanna Get Better- Bleachers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81Z6hGjGJQ
- Reverse- Somekindawonderful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxcyRIFB8U
- Like Real People Do- Hozier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrleydRwWms
- Shower- Becky G https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-_oTkmF5I
January Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/73102337807
February Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/75266102772
March Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/78333123144
April Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/81396273564
May Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/84430256535
June Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/87500771228
July Playlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/90463399579
What songs are on your playlist for this month?No comments
I have heard such great things about these eyeshadows from Colour Pop but I was never quite convinced. How good could an eyeshadow really be after all? Aren’t they all the same?
NO. The answer is definitely no. These eyeshadows from Colour Pop are like no other shadows. Everything about them is perfect. Let’s talk about the formula first. These are creme-like powders that have an elastic-like texture. This means there isn’t any fallout and they apply beautifully. Plus, they last super long and don’t even crease throughout the day. Next, let’s talk about the pigmentation. Oh my goodness, are these ever pigmented. Take a look at those swatches, are those not the most beautiful colors you’ve ever seen? From left to right is ‘I Heart This’ which is a gorgeous light taupe. It is perfect for all over the lid. Next is ‘Desert’ which is a warm medium brown. ‘On The Rocks’ is a deep bronze with purple and gold glitter. I love this one for deepening up the crease. Next is ‘Amaze’, which is the perfect rose gold. I think golds with pink undertones are the most flattering colors! To the right of that one is ‘Meow’, which is such a cool color! It is a tie-dye shadow with pink, purple, and gunmetal colors that all combine to produce one gorgeous shade! Lastly, ‘Envy’ is a deep black with tons of purple glitter! It is the perfect color to line my eyes with!
Colour Pop has so many beautiful shades of eyeshadows and I think I need every single one. I’m not even exaggerating. And did I mention the price? Each eyeshadow is only $5. For quality like this, that’s
practically, no definitely, a steal.
Check out Colour Pop: http://colourpop.com/
*ftc disclaimer: I was sent these products for free but all opinions are my own.No comments
Back-to-school time always has a tendency to bring out my preppier side and while this outfit isn’t exactly termed preppy, I definitely feel more put together than when I am wearing my summer uniform consisting of shorts and tees.
I can’t even begin to tell you how much I have been loving this vest. I’m so glad i bought it because I have been wearing it nonstop lately. Today, I paired it with this seersucker blouse from The Fraternity Collection. The Fraternity Collection is a company dedicated to southern, preppy style and I love combining that style with my more Canadian style. I love how the edginess of my vest compliments the classiness of my shirt.
For bottoms, I’m wearing my boyfriend jeans from American Eagle. Currently, my legs are covered in mosquito bites so goodbye shorts and hello jeans. I’m not even complaining though, I love these jeans! As for shoes, I recently got these Steve Madden heels for a super good price at Town Shoes. They are surprisingly comfy and not so surprisingly adorable.
For accessories, I kept it pretty simple with one of my new favorite bracelets from the Willamy Collection. It is a beaded leather wrap bracelet and I think it goes great with this outfit! I love the layered look of it! I then just slipped on a cool pair of sunglasses because even though summer is slipping away, the sun hasn’t quite yet.
Shirt- ℅The Fraternity Collection (buy here) // Vest- Noul (buy here) // Jeans- American Eagle (buy here) // Shoes- Steve Madden (similar here) // Bracelet- ℅Willamy Collection (buy here) // Sunglasses- ℅Giant Vintage (buy here) // Lipstick- ℅Lancome //
*ftc disclaimer: I was sent these products for free but all opinions are my own.
I’m lazy, I’ll admit it. I don’t like hassle. I like things to be easy. Hence, I have stayed away from pencil eyeliners my entire life because I am not a fan of sharpening, I need a nice sharp tip without having to put in the work every time.
However, Smashbox granted all my wishes and invented the Always Sharp Liners. These liners are super cool. They are a pencil liner, however they have a really cool cap that sharpens the liner every time you twist it on. Is that the coolest thing ever or what?
I have the original eyeliner in the shade Bare and it is the perfect nude liner. I love to line my waterline with this color. It really brightens up my eyes and because it’s waterproof, it stays on all day. The 3D liners are similar to the regular eyeliners except they are sparkly and therefore, can’t be used on the waterline. Mine is in the color Gemstone and is a mauvish light brown. Recently, Smashbox also launched the Always Sharp Lipliners which is super exciting. They come in 12 different colors and are so creamy. Mine is in the color Nude Medium.
So I guess what I’m trying to say, is that this is the first time in a long time that I have been this excited about eye and lip liners so you better all go check them out immediately.
*ftc disclaimer: I was gifted this product from Smashbox but all opinions are my own.No comments
I know you all are going to hate me for saying this, but school is right around the corner. So, it’s about time to start thinking about back-to-school fashion. Let’s start putting away the crop tops and shorts and pull out the fall sweaters. Summer is over y’all.
As I have recently mentioned on my blog before, Aeropostale relaunched it’s new look with AeroNow. It’s more focused on trendy, stylish clothing and I recently had the opportunity to pick out some pieces.
I have always been obsessed with printed jeans so when I saw this colorful pair, I knew it belonged in my closet. These are the perfect transition piece for the end of summer. The colors are the perfect mix of summer and fall! Plus, they’re high waisted so I was able to pair them with my olive crop top! I fell in love with this oversized cardi that is from Bethany Mota’s new collection at Aeropostale. It is so warm and cozy and I have been wearing it with almost every outfit. It’s a great layering piece.
I dressed up the look a bit with some heeled booties, my favorite layered necklaces and of course, my favorite purse of the moment. I know you guys aren’t the happiest about going back to school but at least fall fashion trends are super cute this year, am I right? Or am I right?
Top- American Eagle (buy here) // Cardigan- ℅Aeropostale (buy here) // Jeggings- ℅Aeropostale (buy here) // Shoes- similar here // Necklaces- Topshop (buy here) // Watch- Fossil (buy here) // Purse- Marc Jacobs (buy here)
ftc disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Aeropostale and Her Campus Blogger Network but all opinions are my own.No comments
I’ve had the Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector for almost a year now and I’ve just now realized I have never really mentioned it on my blog. That is just unacceptable.
The Clarins Lip Perfector is a pretty cool product. Its the cross between a lip balm, lip color, and lip gloss all in one. Its surprisingly adequate at moisturizing, gives off a bit of color and it leaves your lips with a nice creamy shine. I really love the applicator of this product. It has a spongy tip which the product squeezes through. It’s mess free and easy to apply. The smell of this is also one of my favorite parts! It has a sweet vanilla smell. I love anything sweet-smelling so this scent is definitely a plus for me.
The only problem with this Lip Perfector is the pigmentation. With this light pink, you really don’t see much color on your lips. But if you aren’t looking for something to replace your daily lipstick, then this will be just fine for you!
Buy hereNo comments
As summer is nearing it’s end, I will be focusing more and more on Back-to-School posts on my blog! And if there’s one thing that actually makes me excited about entering my second year of university, it’s school supplies. Yes, I’m one of those girls who has to have the cutest school supplies.
Although I haven’t picked out my school supplies yet, I did pick up a planner. Agendas are one of my must-haves for school. I use my agenda for everything- my work schedule, my blogging ideas, and of course, homework.
The agenda I picked out this year is the cutest thing ever. It’s Kate Spade and for those of you who don’t know, Kate Spade is my idol. My Marc Jacobs obsession may or may not be converting to a Kate Spade obsession. This planner is super handy at helping me stay organized. It has a pocket in the front for slipping in loose papers, monthly calenders, as well as the weekly pages. These pages have tons of space to write down everything, so I don’t have to worry about cramming everything in. Basically, what I am trying to say is that it’s the most perfect planner ever and everyone needs one. We can all match.
Buy here and check out the other available super cute prints down below (click the box):No comments
- Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Polish (buy here)- Ever since I got gel polish on my toes a few weeks back, I’ve really been favouring it over regular polish. These ones from Sally Hansen don’t require a light so it’s as simple as regular nail polish except it’s a bit thicker and lasts longer!
- Smashbox Cherry Smoke Palette (buy here)- This is one of the prettiest palettes ever. It’s from the newest Smashbox collection and all of the colors are perfect.
- Viva La Juicy Gold Couture Fragrance (buy here)- I haven’t been this obsessed with a fragrance for a very long time. It’s incredibly sweet and smells like marshmallows and caramel and cotton candy and everything that is good in this world.
- Lancome Grandiose Mascara (buy here)- I actually received this mascara a few days ago so there will be a review posted on my blog shortly. It’s a really cool mascara so I’m excited to share my thoughts on it with you!
- Clinique Cheek Pop Blush (buy here)- I am a blush fanatic, so when Clinique launched these new blushes, I was more than excited. The colors are so pretty and perfect for summer. Plus, how cute are they?
- Dior Fluid Stick (buy here) & Estee Lauder Color Envy (buy here)- I have been loving pairing these two lip products together lately. The cool pink gloss looks great layered over the peachy lipstick. It’s the perfect light pink lip!
March Beauty Wishlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/78450855133
April Beauty Wishlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/81297078841
May Beauty Wishlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/84624490198
June Beauty Wishlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/87603045830
July Beauty Wishlist: http://when-im-older.com/post/90665672386No comments
I haven’t been this in love with a lip product in.. well, forever. These are the new Dior Fluid Sticks and they might possibly be my most favourite lip product ever. I know what y’all are thinking; I have a new favourite lip colour every month so how possibly could I be saying that this is my ultimate favourite? Well people, listen on.
The Dior Fluid Sticks combine everything that I love. Pigmented colour, non-sticky formula, lasting finish, and they don’t highlight my dry lips. Doesn’t that sound like a winning lip product? These Dior Fluid Sticks are not your traditional lip glosses. They are marketed as a liquid lipstick which seem to be gaining more and more popularity lately. They have all the pigmentation of a lipstick with the shine of a lip gloss and the hydrating feel of a lip balm. Three in one. I like it.
The colour range of these Fluid Sticks are gorgeous. There are so many colours. I own #754 Pandore, a bright reddish hot pink and #239 Frisson, a light peachy nude. Both colours are absolutely gorgeous. Another thing worth mentioning is the texture. These are so lightweight, you don’t even feel them on the lips! They are just silky smooth and perfect.
And we can’t finish off this review without mentioning the packaging. How gorgeous are these? They look quite similar to the Dior Addict glosses with the only difference being the bottom of the tube where a lipstick silhouette is encased in the clear plastic, allowing the colour to be clearly seen. So beautiful.
Shop here:No comments
Are You Who You Were A Year Ago?
A year ago, I was entering my first summer before university. I had just graduated high school and I was so unaware of the real world. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Now that I have begun my journey through university, I’d like to think I’m a bit more experienced. I’m a bit more knowledgable, a bit more mature, and a bit more fashionable.
Aeropostale has captured this journey perfectly within their new relaunch. I have been wearing Aeropostale ever since grade 7. As my friends and I look back onto junior high, we clearly remember our t-shirts with the Aeropostale logo bolded across the front. I’m sure you all remember yours too. But as we got older, our style changed. Throughout the years, I have gone from casual to preppy to girly to edgy to a mix of all four. Throughout this transformation, Aeropostale has followed alongside, changing their style, evolving alongside us.
Aeropostale has launched two new lines within their store. First, AERO NOW, more trendy, cute clothing that is absolutely perfect for collegiates like you and me! Next, there is LIVE LOVE DREAM, fun, colorful loungewear that is perfect for any part of the college life; lying around in your dorm, heading to class when you can barely get out of bed, or working out.
I think the new Aeropostale image perfectly coincides with any collegiate and I am so excited to shop the new collections. Go check them out at your nearest Aeropostale or online and tell me what you think!
You’ve Changed, So We’ve Changed.
ftc disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Aeropostale and Her Campus Blogger Network but all opinions are my own.No comments
It has been so hot here in Edmonton lately. Not that I’m complaining! But the weather plays a very large factor in what I choose to wear in the morning! On days where the weather tends to reach 30 degrees (Celsius of course), I would rather step out of the house naked. But I guess that isn’t socially acceptable so this is usually what I wear instead.
These shorts are probably the greatest things ever for those hot days. They’re so loose and lightweight, you don’t even realize you’re wearing them. And how cute are they? I love the floral print and the ruffled hem. I usually pair them with a black t-shirt but I could not find one in the mess of clothes in my closet so I opted for this green t-shirt instead. Fun fact about this top: I bought it when I was in grade 6. That was a cool 8 years ago. Whoa. Eight years is a long time ago. But it’s a super good shirt so I’ll keep on wearing it for years to come.
There’s really not much else to say about this outfit. My jewelry is pretty simple. I’m wearing my Fossil watch that I have really been liking lately and my new Topshop choker. I know that chokers are really trendy lately, but I haven’t been liking the majority of them. This one is pretty darn cute though. So that’s my outfit. Simple and short.
Shirt- Jacob (similar here) // Shorts- Plndr (similar here) // Sandals- Sam Edelman (buy here) // Choker- Topshop (buy here) // Purse- Marc Jacobs (buy here) // Watch- Fossil (buy here) // Bracelet- Chibi Jewels (buy here)No comments